We made camp and gathered firewood, had dinner and chatted into the night. We woke up to temps around 50 degrees F, and the dreaded rain pounding on our tents. I was somewhat elated because I really wanted to test my gear to the max. Would my wool and waxed cotton clothing and sleeping bag live up to the claims I was making?

We had breakfast in the rain as we discussed the days plans, then went to our tents to pack up.

My gear included:

Base Layer:

Merino wool top and bottom (2 for bottoms)

Merino bandana (2)

Merino Scarf

Insulation Layer:

Heavy Wool Sweater (handwoven in the Himalayas)

Wool Socks—3 pairs (one for only sleeping, one for wearing, one for washing)

Wool Finger Mitts

Shell Layer:

Waxed Cotton Parka with hood

Waxed Cotton Pants

Rain Layer:

Synthetic Poncho with hood

Felted Wool Hat

I carefully packed my gear into my backpack and decided what I would wear vs. what I would protect and need later. I knew that whatever I wear may become completely soaked. What went on my body was:

One layer of merino base layer for top and bottom

One pair wool socks with leather Minimalist Boots

Waxed Cotton Pants and Parka

Wool Finger Gloves

What went in the waterproof stuck sack in my backpack was:

Lucky Sheep Rewilder Wool Sleeping Bag (four pounds)

2 Pairs of wool socks

The rest of my pack was exposed to the rain. My food, cooking kit and first aid kit was wrapped in ziplock bags could get wet. My tent and groundcloth were already wet and packed on the outside pockets of the backpack. I put my lunch, water, and stove fuel in an outside pocket. That’s about all I had with me.

This was what most people would call a miserable day…our second day hiking on a four day trip. We started out on the muddy trail as water sloshed into our boots. I felt myself getting wetter and colder with each step. We stopped for lunchWalk several hours in blowing cold rain, made it to camp. I was able to get in my tent and sleeping bag and heat up some hot soup during thåe rain without å my tent (tarp).